Sunday 21 December 2008

XV - The Proposal

The drive back to Segun's from the restaurant was somehow different. They barely spoke and when they did it was to point out something on the way or politely ask if the other was okay. She was disappointed because for a moment back at the restaurant she had thought he was going to propose.

When they got home, she couldn't get out of the car fast enough and had her keys at the ready so she wouldn't have to wait for him to unlock the door. She opened the door and was headed straight for the guest room to undress and freshen up when something caught her eye. The living room was decorated with pretty balloons, flowers and streamers. The was a cake with the words 'Happy Birthday Bimby' on the coffee table in the living room and an ice bucket with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Vintage Champagne chilling. How had he pulled this together? She was almost certain her mom had something to do with this.

Segun rushed into the room out of breath and said, "Stop oh... Surprise! I wanted to do something special for your birthday and your mom helped me with most of it, the other part of it is that your family, mine and our friends will be having dinner with us tonight. Mom had the whole thing contracted to a caterer. There's still one more thing I need to do before our guests arrive." Dropping down on one knee, he rummaged through his jacket pockets and produced a beautifully crafted sparkler of a ring. He took both her hands in his and looking into her eyes he began...

"I wanted to do this properly, I have spoken to your parents, and your parish priest and discussed with your siblings and my family. I'm happy to say I got their approval . I wanted to have a special time with you which is why we went out to lunch. I lost my nerve at the last minute there because I was afraid you might turn me down... That would have been awkward!"

His voice was trembling now. "Bimbo, ever since that moment I clapped eyes on you all those years ago I knew you were something special. You have opened my world to experience wonderful things. Your love, support and faith in me has been unwavering. You make me want to be the best man I can be. I love your honesty and admire you for your strength. I know you would make me the happiest man alive because you're you. I promise to be faithful to you in all things, I will honour you with my body and promise to be the best provider, protector, husband and father to our family. You've been my best friend and you're never far from me. When I'm with you I'm happiest, when I think of you I smile. I can't imagine living life without you. I Love you Bimbo. Please say Yes and be my wife!"

She was crying now, Yes, yes, yes I'll marry you! She pulled him to his feet. Hugging and kissing him, then he slipped the ring onto her finger. This was the best birthday ever.

2 comments:

lylawal said...

I am glad to be the first to comment on ur nice romantic blog entry...
Ur writing is quite astonishing, going along the line of a Novel Story... U hardly get stories that start, and have setting quite as well as U do. Though short, I believe U are one ur way to making a mark on literary works.

Bibi said...

Thanks whyem... I appreciate your comments, visited your blog, hope it goes well this time. Happy New year in advance.