Monday 3 November 2008

X

She could still recall that first kiss, it tasted like lemons. It had been at the end of exams, the final day of school. Segun had written his SSCE (Senior School Certificate Examinations) a few weeks earlier but they were still obliged to turn up in the last week of term for some preparatory course for University, also it marked the beginning of holidays for Bimbo. They had sat for a meal in the 'Food Court' during lunch break and when no one was looking he grabbed her and planted a sloppy kiss on her lips.

Apparently flustered, she hit out at him. "Stop it you devil, what the hell was that?" Glaring at him and rubbing vigorously at her lips. Apologetic he said, "I'm sorry I was caught up in the excitement of it all."

"Well there's nothing exciting about that kiss or the fact that we're in the full view of everyone, what if a teacher chose to pass by at that paricular moment or even my elder sister? Are you trying to get me in trouble?" "Okay, point taken, I'm sorry. Jeez, someone who think I had leprosy that way you jumped away." Segun said, a hurt note in his voice. Bimbo sighed, "Look, I just didn't imagine my first kiss to be that way, maybe after school you could walk me home and maybe try again?." She smiled and he smiled back.

She wasn't disappointed, it was the most beautiful kiss ever. It must have gone on forever, she couldn't remember being that out of breath before, even after running the 400m at the last athletics meet her school had been invited to two months ago.

The 'sticking in the tongue' was quite a shock to her but after a few false starts she was confident enough to allow him and when she did, he tasted like lemons. She thought to herself, so this is what kissing about, wow! Segun's such a fantastic kisser...snap out of it and stop thinking, enjoy the moment. Hmmmn...

Needless to say that whenever they were alone after that first encounter, it became her favourite pastime.

They had such great times together and that holiday was the best by Bimbo's standards. They were inseperable, he was ever so thoughtful and caring towards her. They'd never had sex and he didn't pressure her either.

Bimbo was happy, when Segun's JAMB(Joint Admissions and Matriculation Exams) results were released he got enough points to be admitted into his 1st choice University to study Banking & Finance. On the plus side it was the same State University that Chris and Toto attended so she wouldn't need any excuse to visit whenever she wanted to.

To celebrate his success, Bimbo bought him a monogrammed palm pilot in his favorite colour. On the inside cover a note scribbled in her distinct writing 'I'm so proud of your achievements, go and do what you were born to do! Succeed. I love you always, my forever friend. Bimbo'.

2 comments:

Nefertiti said...

aww, this was so sweet, it made me wanna sing... awww *sniff sniff.

Great job! I'll be watching for new posts.

Bibi said...

Thanks for the compliment Nefertiti, I'm happy my writing had the desired effect. With all the cynicism in the world today it's good to go back to the innocence of young love...

I hope not to dissappoint!